Re: [exim] Exim rejects colons in from name: bug or correct …

Top Page
Author: Paul Schreiber
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim rejects colons in from name: bug or correct behaviour? [corrected]
On Mar 14, 2011, at 1:19 AM, Phil Pennock wrote:

>> When called from the command line, Exim 4.69 rejects colons in the from name:
>> /usr/sbin/sendmail -i -t -f foo: bar <info@???> someone@???
>>
>> exim: bad -f address "foo:\ bar\<info@???\>": missing or malformed local part (expected word or "<")
>
> The -f option sets the *envelope* sender, which is *only* the bit within
> the <angle-brackets>.

I understand what the options do.

> Also, the -t option says to extract the recipients from the message, but
> you're providing a recipient on the command-line (someone@???).
> By default, Exim follows the *documented* interface from Sendmail for
> this, which says that the provided recipient is one that has already
> been delivered to, so should be removed from the list of recipients
> extracted from the headers. See the
> "extract_addresses_remove_arguments" option -- you'll need to check the
> install of Exim to see how that has been configured.

I’m actually using the mail gem for ruby:
http://github.com/mikel/mail/

Passing the -t option is a known bug:
https://github.com/mikel/mail/issues/70

So I have extract_addresses_remove_arguments set to false to work around it.

Let me ask again:

This fails in exim, but succeeds in Postfix:
/usr/sbin/sendmail -i -t -f foo: bar \<info@???\> someone@???
                                                 ^^^^ note the colon after foo:

This succeeds in both:
/usr/sbin/sendmail -i -t -f foo bar \<info@???\> someone@???