Re: [exim] Exim rejects colons in from name: bug or correct …

Top Page
Author: Phil Pennock
To: Paul Schreiber
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim rejects colons in from name: bug or correct behaviour? [corrected]
On 2011-03-13 at 18:12 -0400, Paul Schreiber wrote:
> (the sendmail call was missing angle brackets in the previous version of this message)

New subscribers are moderated by default; I've cleared your moderation
flag and I didn't let the previous version through.

> When called from the command line, Exim 4.69 rejects colons in the from name:
> /usr/sbin/sendmail -i -t -f foo: bar <info@???> someone@???
>
> exim: bad -f address "foo:\ bar\<info@???\>": missing or malformed local part (expected word or "<")

The -f option sets the *envelope* sender, which is *only* the bit within
the <angle-brackets>.

Also, the -t option says to extract the recipients from the message, but
you're providing a recipient on the command-line (someone@???).
By default, Exim follows the *documented* interface from Sendmail for
this, which says that the provided recipient is one that has already
been delivered to, so should be removed from the list of recipients
extracted from the headers. See the
"extract_addresses_remove_arguments" option -- you'll need to check the
install of Exim to see how that has been configured.

So, as long as you're not relying upon Exim stripping Bcc: or the like,
you probably want:
/usr/sbin/sendmail -i -f info@??? someone@???

Note that unless untrusted_set_sender is set, or you're invoking this as
a trusted sender, Exim will still add a Sender: header identifying the
user who ran this.

-Phil