Re: [exim] Strange log entry about backup MX

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: W B Hacker
To: exim users
Betreff: Re: [exim] Strange log entry about backup MX
Jakob Hirsch wrote:
> W B Hacker, 2010-06-16 13:24:
>
> (sorry for repost)

No sweat.

>> There is no MX RR for relay.rzone.de Exim appears to have found it by its A RR.
>
> You seem to think relay.rzone.de is the rcpt domain of the message the
> OP had a message for.

I think that is the more likely case, yes.

I base that observation largely on the general disarray in DNS, propagation
diffs - website under construction, a redirect to another domain going walkabout
even as I was researching it, larger than usual number of third-party players, etc.

Add to that what the sendmail MTA on that box returned just now:

2010-06-16 19:35:30 [26048] 1OOyOW-0006m6-Kk ** postmaster@???
F=<wbh@???> P=<wbh@???> R=dnslookup T=remote_smtp: SMTP
error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<postmaster@???>: host
relay.rzone.de [81.169.145.96]: 550 5.4.0 Relaying denied

> But it's only a hostname listed as a MX for some
> domain.

Certainly possible.

Unless someone else has knowledge of one or more specifics, however, we're
guessing.

Only the OP and his logs know what happened *at the time* in his case.

And he redacted the MX the custom error message was pointing him to, which might
have help resolve the mystery....

>> Either way, not really an Exim issue at all.
>
> ack.

The environment in this particular case makes for a very tenuous foundation for
discussion of what Exom does about MX records.

Gruss,

Bill