Re: [exim] redirect router 'data' confusion

Top Page
Author: exim.ml@riotm.co.uk
CC: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] redirect router 'data' confusion
Andreas, thank you for your response

On Sun, 2010-03-21 at 10:09 +0100, Andreas Metzler wrote:
> exim.ml@??? <exim.ml@???> wrote:
> [...]
> > The part I am struggling with is the 'data' section. With the redirect
> > router you don't specify a transport, I'm fine with that. What I don't
> > understand is how the 'data' lookup actually decides the action to take
> > on a message?
>
> It depends on the value. If it is not *either* filter data (i.e. the
> data starts with #Exim filter or #Sieve filter) *or* one of "Special
> items in redirection lists"
> http://docs.exim.org/current/spec_html/index.html#toc0210 it is simply
> interpreted as a list of addresses. These addreses are the handled by
> the routers.

Thanks, I had read that over and over but whilst it's very detailed, it
lacks the 'The redirect router is used to....' type of explanation. From
what I now understand of it, it the data returned does not include a
filter statement, it's simply going to rewrite addresses and then carry
on down the routers list - unless it fails. Because I am fairly retarded
and suffer from dyslexia I struggle to make immediate sense of it. It's
slightly reminiscent of Monty Python ("If you are not writing you letter
home and not having your haircut but playing in the match this
afternoon") but I think I get it!

> [...]
> > The rough structure of the database in pseudo form would be:
> > email_address           final_destination               destination_type
> > user@domain             1.2.3.4:25                      direct to ip
> [...]
> > user@otherdomain        host.otherdomain:2525           hostname lookup
> [...]

> You will need to use a manualroute router to tell exim that the
> address user@domain is handled by 1.2.3.4, instead of using redirect.

So I'm going to need two or more? One that matches if the destination
type is of 'direct to ip' (or host lookup), and another if there is a
local physical mailbox for the address. What is important is I don't
need to touch 'redirect' at all for my needs from what I understand.