Re: [exim] redirect router 'data' confusion

Top Page
Author: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] redirect router 'data' confusion
exim.ml@??? <exim.ml@???> wrote:
[...]
> The part I am struggling with is the 'data' section. With the redirect
> router you don't specify a transport, I'm fine with that. What I don't
> understand is how the 'data' lookup actually decides the action to take
> on a message?

It depends on the value. If it is not *either* filter data (i.e. the
data starts with #Exim filter or #Sieve filter) *or* one of "Special
items in redirection lists"
http://docs.exim.org/current/spec_html/index.html#toc0210 it is simply
interpreted as a list of addresses. These addreses are the handled by
the routers.

[...]
> The rough structure of the database in pseudo form would be:
> email_address           final_destination               destination_type
> user@domain             1.2.3.4:25                      direct to ip

[...]
> user@otherdomain        host.otherdomain:2525           hostname lookup

[...]

You will need to use a manualroute router to tell exim that the
address user@domain is handled by 1.2.3.4, instead of using redirect.

cu andreas
--
so grateful to you.'