Re: [exim] Forwarder destination is bogus, how to reject in…

Top Page
Author: Phil Pennock
To: Andrew
CC: Exim-users, Mike Wilson
Subject: Re: [exim] Forwarder destination is bogus, how to reject in the acl_smtp_rcpt?
On 2009-10-03 at 11:12 +0930, Andrew wrote:
> Mike Wilson wrote:
> > Consider this case, I am running a mail server for my domain
> > example.com. I have a redirect router that checks out /etc/aliases. In
> > that file one of my users has created a forwarder to an email address
> > that doesn't exist. I would like to be able to detect this at SMTP
> > time and reject it instead of having to generate a bounce. But a
> > simple
> >
> > verify = recipient
> >

> All this does is check to see if the recipient domain is able to have
> email delivered to do it, using DNS records.

No.

For *remote* domains, it only checks if there are DNS records. For
addresses handled locally, it verifies that the recipient can be
delivered to. I'm simplifying slightly by implying that this
distinction is by domain; it usually is.

It's worth reading chapter 3 of The Exim Specification (spec.txt with
Exim or online at www.exim.org).

-Phil