Re: [exim] Forwarder destination is bogus, how to reject in…

Top Page
Author: Phil Pennock
To: Mike Wilson
CC: Exim-users
Subject: Re: [exim] Forwarder destination is bogus, how to reject in the acl_smtp_rcpt?
On 2009-10-02 at 16:29 -0600, Mike Wilson wrote:
> Consider this case, I am running a mail server for my domain
> example.com. I have a redirect router that checks out /etc/aliases. In
> that file one of my users has created a forwarder to an email address
> that doesn't exist. I would like to be able to detect this at SMTP
> time and reject it instead of having to generate a bounce. But a
> simple
>
> verify = recipient
>
> doesn't seem to work. It seems to be satisfied that it can find a
> match and not really care where the destination goes. Anyone know if
> there is a way to do this in exim. I only want to do this at SMTP time
> for local domains, if it's a remote domain I'll just take my chances,
> no callout necessary.
>
> /etc/aliases:
> jon@???: addressthatdoesntexists@???

If example.com is handled locally, then you have something accepting
mail at verification time for the non-existent address.

If you use:
exim -bt jon@???
then it should show you the redirections in a chain, with the ultimate
destination chosen for the address and the Router chosen to handle it.
That router probably is verifying inappropriately -- ie, it verifies,
but then rejects at delivery time.

If you need more debugging information:
exim -d -bt jon@???

Regards,