Re: [Exim] Fixing SPF Forward Problem by Reply-to: Hack?

Top Page
Author: Fred Viles
To: exim-users
Subject: Re: [Exim] Fixing SPF Forward Problem by Reply-to: Hack?
On 22 Mar 2004 at 11:34, Edgar Lovecraft wrote about
    "Re: [Exim] Fixing SPF Forward Probl":

| Fred Viles wrote:
| >
| > | Hi Edgar, on Sun, 21 Mar 2004 20:43:55 -0600 you wrote:
| > |
| > | <snip>

| > I can only assume that you guys have never tried this on a business or
| > public (ISP) server. The false positive rate is *way* too high for this
| > test to be practical for blocking or quarrantining.

| I keep track of such information at an ISP level as an ISP, that is about
| all as you are correct, I cannot 'put this into full effect' as of now.

So you *know* what you are advocating is impractical.

| But just because I cannot do so currently, does not mean that I should not
| advocate that it should be used.

I disagree. Advocating that admins to set up what you view as proper
rDNS would be fine, but you are advocating that admins set up a
system you know perfectly well will block a lot of legitimate mail.
That is not ethical IMO.

| And, I said in several other posts, MY user base is too small to force this
| change, however, if several of the large ISP's (AOL, MSN, Comcast?) do
| this, people WILL follow.

You have a small user base, and can not afford the collateral damage.
Yet you want services with millions of users to adopt it. What do
you think would be the impact on MSN if they started to block a
substantial amount of legitimate mail from reaching their
subscribers? How can you imagine they could do such a thing, when
even you can not?

- Fred