Re: [exim] BODY=7BIT

Top Page
Author: Ted Cooper
To: Exim Users
Subject: Re: [exim] BODY=7BIT
On 13/03/11 13:52, Phil Pennock wrote:
> No: each ESMTP extension which is advertised to a client is available.
> The BODY=7BIT construct is a feature available when the 8BITMIME
> capability is advertised.
>
> Although Exim is 8-bit clean, it does not currently perform any
> down-conversions when talking to a remote mailserver, thus does not
> advertise 8BITMIME by default. If you run a mail-server which accepts
> mail for delivery into an inbox and does not send mail outbound again,
> then turning on the accept_8bitmime global option will cause Exim to
> advertise 8BITMIME and the BODY=7BIT extension will be supported.
>
> Anything using an extension's features when the extension wasn't
> advertised to it is broken.

Ah, I missed that it required the 8BITMIME extension to be advertised
for it to be allowed. It really was far too quick a look. None of my
servers have accept_8bitmime enabled.

I was already pretty sure that all the connections attempting this were
broken spamware/bots. I can lump all these ips into a class now.

Thank you!