Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE + JIT compiling

Top Page
Author: Philip Hazel
To: Herczeg Zoltán
CC: pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] PCRE + JIT compiling
On Sun, 29 Aug 2010, Herczeg Zoltán wrote:

> Have you ever considered adding JIT support for PCRE?

No. I suspect it would require a complete redesign and rewrite of the
library (which is written in C, as I guess you already know). That won't
ever be done by me as I am now retired. I will continue to maintain PCRE
for a while, but I do not see myself doing any major development of any
kind, let along a radical re-write such as that.

Would JIT support *really* give better performance? PCRE doesn't take
very long to compile a regex, and you have the advantage of discovering
any syntax errors before you start to try to match anything.

Philip

--
Philip Hazel