Re: [pcre-dev] 'Hard' partial matching don't work with some …

Top Page
Author: ND
To: Pcre-dev
Subject: Re: [pcre-dev] 'Hard' partial matching don't work with some assertions
>I'm afraid you have misunderstood the partial matching feature, as I
> explained above. PCRE does not have a concept of "incomplete string".
> It just deals with a subject string. The partial matching feature means
> that it can return "this string partially matches the pattern" as an
> alternative to "this string does (or does not) match the pattern". In
> other words, the partial bit is about partial matching, not about an
> incomplete (or partial) string.

I'm afraid you don't remember practical reasons that I explained when I
offer you to add this ability (you later called it 'partial hard'). The
practical purpose is to process INCOMPLETE STRINGS in situations when
string is very long or when it comes to client by parts and client don't
know when it ends.
And what practical reasons governs present PCRE behaviour? Why that
initial conception changes?

Michael.