Re: [exim] Strange log entry about backup MX

Startseite
Nachricht löschen
Nachricht beantworten
Autor: Chris Wilson
To: Heiko Schlittermann
CC: exim-users
Betreff: Re: [exim] Strange log entry about backup MX
Hi Heiko,

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010, Heiko Schlittermann wrote:

>>> Does exim use the Backup MX if the primary MX is available? Can I
>>> configure exim to prefer the primary MX?
>>
>> Exim should try the primary first, as any MTA should. Sometimes it may
>> fail to reach the primary, and fall back to the secondary, particularly
>> if the primary uses greylisting. The secondary is tempfailing the mail,
>> because *it* thinks the primary is still up, which causes exim to try
>> the primary again later. Seems fairly normal and OK to me.
>
> But it's quite stupid by second mx, to think that my (network)
> connectivity to the second mx is the same as to the first mx.

Maybe, or maybe it just hasn't noticed yet. I implemented a trick with
exim to do exactly this, to ensure that the backup MX does not accept mail
when the primary is still up, to reduce the backup MX spam problem:

http://blog.aptivate.org/2009/01/28/backup-mail-exchangers/

I reduced the callout positive cache expiry time to five minutes, but
still during that time, the backup MX will think that the primary is still
up. I think that it doesn't do any harm except to slightly delay mail
being accepted by the backup when the primary is down.

Cheers, Chris.
--