Re: [exim] Exim development

Top Page
Author: W B Hacker
To: exim users
CC: Ian Eiloart
Subject: Re: [exim] Exim development
Ian Eiloart wrote:

> --On 5 October 2009 13:36:53 +0800 W B Hacker <wbh@???> wrote:
>
>> Christian Balzer wrote:
>>>>
>>> While that is certainly true, the lack of fully native DKIM support (no
>>> patching, binary packages from the distro of your choice) is starting to
>>> hurt.
>>> Lets not repeat the discussion about pro and cons of DKIM, this is a
>>> question of having an easy and fully supported way to offer DKIM for
>>> those who want it or have a political (managerial) need to implement it.
>>>
>>> The last official word about this from Tom was on March 30th IIRC and
>>> since then nothing about it and Exim 4.70.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Christian
>> 4.69 is not the barrier.
>>
>> WITH_DKIM =
>>
>> .. is already in the Makefile.
>
> yes, but libdkim isn't.

But it is, and has been for a long time.

Tom did the Exim work, sky@ and krion@, the FreeBSD port maintainers picked up
the dependencies and put them into place:

Under /usr/ports/mail/libdkim

even my now-obsolete FreeBSD 7.1 has libdkim-1.0.17-tk.tar.gz

and it is found and used under /usr/ports/mail/exim

with a simple:

make -DWITH_DKIM=yes

.. producing the expected output:

/usr/ports/mail/exim/work/exim-4.69/build-FreeBSD/dkim-exim.o

etc.

> The docs refer to
> <http://duncanthrax.net/exim-experimental/libdkim-1.0.15-tk.tar.gz> two
> more recent versions are available there, but not easily discoverable, and
> I don't see documentation about that fact.

Present-day FreeBSD 7.2 production release and ports does list the newer
libdkim-1.0.17_1

Both call the requisite openssl version (discussed in April-May 2008 thread).

> Tom said about 4.70 that the DKIM implementation is stand-alone (library
> included in Exim bundle, no additional dependencies), and the new library
> supports some non-POSIX platforms like Windows (I know). On the other hand,
> support for domainkeys is dropped - not that I think that's a great loss.

There is still a domainkeys lib in ports for that also - same maintainer,
sky@???

I haven't checked NetBSD, OpenBSD, DragonFlyBSD, but 'pkgsrc' may well have the
DKIM option also.

>> As to 'binary' and 'distro' ISTR the tools to make the result of
>> compilation into an RPM or similar 'package' are free, plentiful, and
>> not hard to utilize.
>>
>> If it was a *Pony* you wanted 'compiled', OTOH .. 'wishing' is probably
>> safer.
>>
>> ;-)
>>

>> Bill

Long story short:

- Yes, docs could/should be updated to better reflect the current state, above.

- But if FreeBSD rolled it all into ports NLT 7.1-RELEASE, (over a year ago),
there must be at least ONE of the many Linux distros if not *several*, that
has/have done so already. Linux is usually quicker off the mark on new stuff
than the more conservative *BSD's.

- In any case, given that the 'official' release is an OS-agnostic / fits all
POSIX-critters *source* tarball, I don't see distro-specific binaries *or*
third-party dependencies as entirely an Exim-devel responsibility.

YMMV,

Bill