Re: [exim] Hotmail sends spam multiple times

Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Renaud Allard
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: exim-users, eximX1211
Αντικείμενο: Re: [exim] Hotmail sends spam multiple times
On Tue, 03 Feb 2009 08:42:24 +1100 Ted Cooper <eximX1211@???> wrote

> Renaud Allard wrote:
> > I am wondering if any of you has got this kind of behavior from hotmail
> > servers, and if yes, how do you deal with this?
> > When I receive some spams from hotmail, it is fake-rejected following
> > recommendations of spamassassin ACL in DATA phase. But hotmail keeps
> > re-sending the same spam again multiple (20-30) times. According to the
> > spam headers, this is the same message, not another one being submitted.
> > This is quite annoying as spamassassin takes ressources scanning the
> > same spam over and over again and the user receives the spam multiple
> > times in the spam folder.
>
> You could take the from and to address combination and put them in a
> database. The next time the same details are presented, outright reject
> them with a rude message.
>
> Any emails from freemail providers I fakedefer the message the first
> time and if the message fails a number of tests, reject it outright on
> the next attempt. I've never seen multiple attempts to send the same
> rejected message though.

I just understood why they were retried. This is yet another bug in hotmail
(maybe in other MS products too, but I haven't verified yet).
If you reject a mail after the data phase with a multiple line answer, the
server just don't issue QUIT and thinks it has failed the delivery.
My configuration helped legitimate people to understand why their mail has
failed with:
control = fakereject/Message rejected due to spam score:
$spam_score\n$spam_report

When I changed it to:
control = fakereject/Message rejected due to spam score: $spam_score

hotmail servers issued the QUIT and didn't retry. So I guess this is due to the
multiline reply.