Re: [Exim] Understanding acl-check_rcpt

Top Page
Author: Andreas Metzler
To: exim-users
CC: Johann Spies
Subject: Re: [Exim] Understanding acl-check_rcpt
On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 03:12:26PM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> --
> I would appreciate some help to understand the process please.
>
> I have a lot of frozen messages like this on two newly build mail
> servers (Debian Woody with Exim 4.33):
> ========
> Message 1BQMZU-0006Sj-Ma has been frozen (delivery error message).
> The sender is <>.
>
> The following address(es) have yet to be delivered:
> kxjvx@???: SMTP error from remote mailer after RCPT
> TO:<kxjvx@???>: host mail3bb.sun.ac.za [146.232.128.106]: 550
> unknown +user

[...]
> Now my question: Why did "verify recipient" and "require verify =
> sender" not cause this message to be denied at smtp-level?

You are mixing up verify = sender and verify=sender with
callout. The former only checks whether exim could _route_ a mail to
this address (which succeds, foo@??? goes to mail3bb.sun.ac.za).

We cannot tell why the original message bounced at all and therefore
do not know if/why "verify recipient" should have worked.
               cu andreas